Women are the targets of 90 % or more of all assaults from domestic violence to date rape to street crimes-just a fact. Guys you should be aware of these tips too. They’ll work for you and you can pass them along to the women in your life.
1. Get a self-defense program in place.
2. Get a self-defensive attitude. This will enhance your self-confidence and power to fight back. Building confidence in your ability to defend your self shows through.
3. Use common sense and restraint. Everyone has choices on where they go and how they get there. Keep to well lit areas, go with a buddy, avoid dangerous areas.
4. Learn how to avoid a fight. It takes two to tangle. Take the high road and walk away when given the opportunity.
5. Keep practicing. The self-defense skills you learn should become second nature.
6. Be aware of where you are.
7. Hitchhiking is dangerous-use buses or taxis.
8. Never act or appear to be an easy target. Don’t look like victim. Most guys who assault women are not all that smart but they are not stupid either. Someone who is walking with their head down and an uncertain gait presents an easy target.
9. Have body language that exudes self-confidence.
10. Start screaming your head off. Then try biting, scratching eyes-anything you can do to defend your self.
11. Trust your instincts. Women especially are blessed with an uncanny knack for sensing things. They should use and trust that instinct. When you get a shiver down your spine be ready to react.
12. Get a survivor mentality. This starts with developing an awareness of your surroundings and aware of the fact that women are potential targets all their lives.
13. Don’t become paranoid. Just be aware!!
14. Your priorities are survival and escape. You don’t get style points. Fight dirty.
15. React quickly. An assault situation demands a speedy response not where’s my pepper spray.
16. Use anything you can get your hands on as a self defense weapon. A pen in your purse, keys, your fingernails-anything that might cause some damage.
17. Don’t be a provocative target. Getting drunk or high on drugs is akin to asking for trouble-even when with friends.
18. Learn some basic points on the body that yield the results you want. Eye gouges, groin kicks, the heal of the hand to the base of the nose, a hard punch to the ear all will get you a release.
19. Having a stun gun is not enough. Learn and know how to use them and practice using them. They will give you from 3-15 minutes to escape to get help or just escape and survive.
20. Your life is at stake here. I can’t stress this enough practice different scenarios so when (not if) the time comes you instinctively know what to do and it just happens reflexively.
Following these tips may end up saving your life. Remember the old saying “walk softly and carry a nasty pepper spray.”